Expand your knowledge of your Classical Civilization or Ancient History GCSE. more…
Join experts who teach and study the ancient world at the University of Cambridge for an inspiring day of talks, tours, and taster sessions which will help you get more out of your Classical Civilization or Ancient History GCSE.
The talks and workshops are tailor-made for your GCSE syllabus and will help you to understand your topics in greater depth and to see how what you study fits into the big picture of the ancient world. Everybody attends the Introduction session. We all meet again for the Conclusions session, which will be based on your responses to the day and will bring together all the different topics you have been exploring. You can pick which workshops you want to attend from the list below. Within each workshop there will be specific questions tailored to the particular options that you are studying for GCSE. To give you a sense of what is on offer, last year’s programme is included below.
Booking now closed.
Programme for 2017
10.30 – 11.00 : Registration and Refreshments (Entrance 3)
11.00 – 11.15 : Welcome (Dr Fran Middleton, room G.19)
11.30 – 12.30 : Session 1, with a choice between
- Herodotus and the Persians (Franco Basso, room 1.02)
- Women and Myth (Dr Fran Middleton, room G.19)
12.30 – 1.30 : Lunch
13.30 – 14.30 : Session 2, with a choice between
- The use of museums in Classics (Jennie Thornber, Museum of Classical Archaeology)
- The use of ancient languages in Classics (Dr Rosanna Omitowoju, room 1.02)
- The use of secondary literature in Classics (Dr Fran Middleton, room G.19)
14.45 – 15.45 : Session 3, with a choice between
- The Early History of Rome (Graham Andrews, room 1.02)
- Reading society through Homer (Dr Fran Middleton, room G.19)
- Roman City Life (Dr Nick Zair, room G.21)
16:00 – 16.30 : Round-Up (Dr Fran Middleton, room G.19)